- This event has passed.
Spaces & Flows: Eighth International Conference on Urban and ExtraUrban Studies
October 12, 2017 @ 8:00 am - October 13, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
Spaces & Flows: Eighth International Conference on Urban and ExtraUrban Studies features research addressing the following annual themes and the 2017 Special Focus
- Theme 1: Urban and Extraurban Spaces
- Theme 2: Human Environments and Ecosystemic Effects
- Theme 3: Material and Immaterial Flows
- 2017 Special Focus: Enculturing the City
In recognition of Hull’s status as UK City of Culture 2017, the special focus of the Spaces and Flows 8th International Conference is “Enculturing the City.” The conference aims to explore the growing roles of ‘culture’ and ‘creativity’ in contemporary urbanism, and to interrogate how successfully categories such as art, culture and creativity can transform cities. Can they become key drivers of urban growth, enabling cities to forge increasingly global connections? Do they distinguish cities and generate distinctive place-identities amidst a globalizing world? How successfully do they engage with the education, wellbeing and aspirations of all a city’s communities? The conference will examine critically these issues and the social, economic and cultural challenges and benefits of developing the ‘creative city’ in a context of austerity and political instability. The conference organizers particularly welcome proposals for paper, panel, colloquium and workshop sessions that address the special focus as follows:
- What is a city of culture?
- Where is culture in the city?
- Is culture mobile and does it embed in the city?
- In a context of austerity and political instability what are the social and economic benefits and/or costs of enculturing the city?